Hosted by Portland Pit Bull Parade. Join this free community event to get out and enjoy the company of other humans and dogs while busting stereotypes about so-called bully breeds.
Let's hope those April showers hold off the last weekend of this month so we have a dry bully walk. But remember, we walk rain or shine!!!
Please remember to observe our guidelines that are not meant to exclude anyone but are meant to make each walk a calm, pleasant and safe event for all who participate.
1. NO FACING OFF: Please help your dog(s) greet other dogs with respect by observing simple ‘dog rules’ of meeting. Allow nose sniffing and then the obligatory butt sniffing while remaining calm and attentive yourself. Our dogs sense whether or not we are comfortable with them meeting other dogs so we must not allow meetings with other dogs unless we are comfortable with it. Please do not keep a taut leash while your dog is greeting/meeting other dogs (remember that dog fighters use this method of keeping the leash taut and pulling back while dogs face off in order to get their dogs into a fighting mindset). Please don’t ever assume that someone else wants their dog to meet yours so please be polite and make sure to ask permission before allowing your dog to meet/greet another dog.
2. NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES and please no leashes longer than six feet.
3. RED BANDANNAS FOR ‘DOG SENSITIVE’ DOGS: Dogs known or believed to be anxious when around other dogs are to wear a red bandanna to let others know to respect your dog’s space.
4. ALL DOGS UP TO DATE ON SHOTS/VACCINATIONS. In the interest of good health for all the dogs attending our walks we ask that you do not join us unless your dog is up to date on their shots/vaccinations.
5. PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG: If you don't have poop bags we have them. Just see one of the advocacy members at the walk to get some.
6. NO SMOKING: We ask all of our bully walkers who smoke to please avoid smoking during the meet-up, the walk and after walk cool down. We make no judgment as to whether or not smoking is acceptable but do not want to promote it either as our walks are a family event. Smoking outside the periphery of where the bully walkers are gathered is perfectly acceptable. Thank you for understanding.