Season's first toxic algae alert
The Oregon Health Authority issued a harmful algae bloom report in southern Oregon’s Jackson County July 12. The advisory was later lifted when testing indicated the water was safe. Dangerous blooms occur in all types of standing water during warm weather, so while this incident had a happy ending, it provides an important reminder to use extreme caution near water this summer. Blue-green algae can cause severe illness or death when consumed by animals — in quantities as minimal as can be licked from a paw. The alert reminds people to keep pets away from suspicious water and, “When in doubt, stay out.” Learn more at Public.Health.Oregon.gov.